Sunday, August 10, 2008

WHY??

I find myself asking myself this question often. Sometimes, more then others.
Why?
Why the heck do we still live in this town - is usually what follows the why. I have the list of the standard answers that I recite to myself to get me through the questions.
You wonder why I have these questions? Well for starters I have no family here and no real friends that I can depend on in a pinch.
For example Friday after we picked Brooklyn up from the airport in Reno we went to Mimi's for lunch. When we tried to leave my car wouldn't start. And so we tried to call thew two people we have here and couldn't get a hold of either...groovy! These are the people I have on my emergency contacts for the girls school/day care stuff doesn't inspire too much confidence when I can't get a hold of them in an emergency why would the school? Ya know? So we called a few cab companies that AAA referred us to and it was going to be about $100.00 to get home, as the tow truck can only fit 2 people, finally Don got a hold of our neighbor Bill and he was able to come and pick us up. Then my car started - we got it home - and then it didn't start again. So it is at the dealership now and will be looked at Monday.
So during that experience I was thinking - WHY??? If we lived closer to my friends and family I would have been able to call Holly, Becky or Linda and I know they would have been there instantly.
The other why usually comes with that we have an unusual housing market here. With the Carson City Valley being so limited on land there was very little growth during the BOOM that California and Vegas had. So when looking into houses we can afford we get something that was built in 1960-1980 and needs tons of work. You can actually get a better deal on a home in Turlock, Modesto or even Vegas right now because you can almost get a brand new home for what we can afford.
The last one is that I hate my ward. mmmm I don't always hate it - but they are weird here.
Like where else would someone, who I know and knows I am a Realtor, interrupt a conversation I was having with a new family about the real estate market here and say, "Oh, I have a great agent I work with all of the time...." Looks at me "She deals in the higher end stuff." Argh? Really. The major problems with our ward are these #1 we have so few young families moving in to the ward and so you are almost friend blocked by someone - like as if the other desperate people in the ward call "TAG MY FRIEND!!" #2 is that no matter what I do or say with the old folks who have been in the ward for eons I am not April. Duh, right? This town is too small and most of the people still haven't given me a fair shake. To many of them I will always be "April Abbie's Husband's New Wife" that quote was and is by far still my favorite introduction that I had from someone at church.
The answers
- Don's kids are here. Don's family lives close by. We can't afford to sell our house and stay in Carson City area. We would have to move were we could get more house for the money. We can't leave the state until Don gets his pension like 11 years. And I want our next move to be the last or the next to last move we make. And I know that if we can just stick it out here until we are both finished with school then we would be better off financially....oh the many factors. Also - I don't MIND Carson City. I actually like the area. I love the mountains and I love the trees and I love the green and snow. I don't want to leave Carson City - we may just have to wait for all of the old timers to die off before I am accepted. HAAHAA :) And besides I really hate Las Vegas when we go down there... in the summer during the monsoons I hate that it gets to 116 with 50% humidity. I hate that I have branded myself and Brooklyn with the seat belt buckle. I hate the smog, the traffic etc etc etc. Why can't everyone just move up here? That is the best plan yet!!
Oh OK I am done now. I have made myself laugh and have snapped out of my bad mood for the moment.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Think Hurricane. Really.