Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thyroid update

I met with the endocrinologist last week. I did my thyroid blood panel. The usual blood work plus a few others to test antibodies? The idea is to see if these antibodies are present.
If they are in normal range the thyroid problem, in my case could have been perhaps temporary, Post Partum Thyroiditis. And if they were present but in an above normal range it would mean that my body has and Autoimmune disorder, in other words my body would fight against its self.
My usual thyroid number is getting higher, so that is good, the synthetic thyroid pill is working.
My Thyroid Peroxidase (the antibody) number normal range is 0-34 ml. Mine came out to be a wee bit high...mine is 699! That's like 1800% higher then it should be.
So this means that I have Hashimoto's Disease. It is an Autoimmune disorder, my immune system has been attacking and destroying my thyroid for years now.
So nothing to be worried about, I haven't spoken with my Dr. yet, he will call me hopefully Wednesday, we will see how that goes! I know I will be taking the Synthroid for the rest of my life to supplement for no longer having a thyroid gland - but I wonder if my 699 number will ever go down? I am such a numbers person. So Google Hashimoto's Disease if you have questions - I don't have answers. I know it is not life threatening and in the grand scheme of life it is no big deal!

2 comments:

Roxi and Ephraim's Family said...

Erica, That sounds exactly like my scenario. I had really high numbers like that, and then diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. The synthroid definitely helped me. I am grateful for doctors. I have been reading about a doctor who has a fasting clinic in California who cures a lot of auto-immune diseases. I am going to try to save up my money and go to it to see if it might help me be a little more healthy. I am pretty sure I can't get rid of the Hashimoto's once I have it, but maybe slow down the destruction a little. I am really sorry about it for you. I am sorry if it seems like I sound excited, but I just want to bond. I understand what that feels like when you don't have any medication. I am glad that you figured it out, and can get help for it now. Love you Erica.

Mer said...

Erica--
I am so glad you found me. That has been the great thing about this blog craze, it has helped me get back in touch with friends. I love the pictures of your girls. They are both cuties. I just want to pinch Ava's cheeks. I am sorry to hear you are having thyroid issues. I hope all is okay with that. I will keep checking in on you.

Mer